Michigan is known for having some of the most dramatic weather changes throughout the year. Our state is home to winters that seem to last 9 months and summers that have temperatures reaching nearly 100 degrees. That being said, there are many spots throughout the state that give us Michiganders the opportunity to make the most of the weather during all seasons.
Our agent, Stacey Dyer, has found that camping is one of her favorite things to do throughout the Michigan summers and has shared with us a few tips and trades that she has picked up on over the years.
How do you prefer to camp? What do you call your home away from home?
I like to camp in all different ways, but I prefer my trailer. In fact, it’s more like glamping than camping. I have my own bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. It is the best way to go. I know the sheets are clean, there’s food in the fridge, and a shower is ready and available.
What are your top three campgrounds/campsites in Michigan? Why?
There are so many incredible campgrounds in Michigan. All of them offer different things!
- Timber Ridge in Traverse City → This camp is open all year, offers good size lots, cabin rentals, a pool, sand dune trails and is close to downtown
- Holly State Park → This wooded site is perfect for when we have a group that wants to go camping together. Their campgrounds are all connected and they have an incredible beach right across the street.
- ANY campground in the Upper Peninsula. One of my favorite places to be is across the bridge. There are so many hidden surprises up there and there is always something new to be discovered.
What is the best place to visit that is close-ish to the office in Troy?
The best place to camp closest to the office would either be Holly State Campground or Metamora Hadley. Both have great beaches and nice sized sites for tents or trailers.
What would you say are the ‘must-haves’ for camping in Michigan?
That’s a simple one:
- A deck of cards to play euchre
- Baggo / Cornhole
- Wood for those nightly bonfires
- Makers Mark and Ginger Ale
Stacy has found a way to take a break from the hustle and bustle of work, spend quality time with her friends and family, and enjoy all that Mother Nature has to offer all without leaving this beautiful state she calls home.